04 September 2008

Further Dispatchings From The Roadtrip On Which I Am Not: Day 3.


Day 3: Reno to BFE. Er, Eureka, Nevada. 243 Miles.

Hwy 50 and 722 Junction. Made a wrong turn.. and then a wrong turn again. Then had to back track.. Ah well.. This is on our way to Austin NV.

[The terrific and talented Todd. Teaches Tai Chi. Does some wicked energy movement with acupuncture. Tells scads of disgusting dirty jokes. Thinks farts are a riot and a half (KDog, I hear you giggling over there). Ladies, he is indeed single. Line forms to the right. Don't push.]

International Cafe in Austin Nevada. And the city.... er town... um.. village? Hamlet? Our waitress was charming enough.. in that classic rural way. what was especially endearing is when she brought us out our veggie burger I asked which one was the no tomato. She dug around in the stack of plant matter and said that well they both had tomato but she said could take them out. I said it was ok and just had the [finger prodded] veggie patty. [All I have to say is: "Kiss my Grits" because what else is there to say?]

This is a poster that was in a door of the local hardware store. Not sure what the storm is that it warns to be prepared for.. or why 2008 is so important. Maybe somebody can explain? [Come on all you GOP-loving, gun-toting, evil-smiting, storm-weathering readers of my blog - Bexy, Mark, Mama - give the rest of us liberal shaloobs some sugar, don't let us be caught out in the storm without shining the light of illumination and salvation upon our heathen breasts. Please?]


This is some where between Eureka and Ely (pronounced E-Lee) in Nevada.







Oh and the last picture is of some locals that came out to check us out. [You can almost sense a slackened jaw, and I don't mean that rudely - honest.]







Nothingness. But so nice.

It is hard to convey with these pictures how truly empty it is out here. At first it is kinda boring, riding for miles after miles and it is so empty. Then when you stop and take your helmet off, it is so quiet. And that is so weird, how quiet and how empty nothingness is.. then it so... well awesome and nice and well very cool. I don't think I would like live here, but for some reason, it refreshes my soul a bit.
NEXT UP: Day 4 - photographic proof we need a better digital camera.

3 comments:

Bexy said...

You didn't know that the NRA is our last hope for a better America?

Don't you know that Obama's coming and he's going to make all guns 100% illegal. Then he's going to make your children gay and appoint Osama bin Laden as the head of FEMA. I can't believe you aren't preparing for this RIGHT NOW.

Amber said...

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH Dying. You are killing me.

Obviously I'm such a commie pinko that turning my children gay doesn't bother me (there's an 80% chance I'll inadvertently do that through the shear power of my own neurosis anyway), but Osama bin Laden as the head of FEMA is too much, so I will clearly be supporting my new Hero Sarah Palin and her old man for president.

Wow.

Bexy said...

I just noticed that the NRA sign says "Insure your rights." Did they mean this, or did they mean "Ensure your rights"? Is this them being "witty" - like your gun is your insurance? Is that giving them too much credit?

For the record, I'm not a homophobe I just play one on initial blog posts. Just sayin.