09 June 2008

But... it's BRUCE.

Hey. Hey you. You like Bruce? Bruce Springsteen?

Really? Cause I thought everyone loved The Boss. C'mon, baby: He's. THE. BOSS.

Well, whatever. You should like him. If you don't, for whatever crazy anti-80's, I-hate-people-from-Jersey-and-guys-named-Bruce-and-men-shorter-than-five-feet-nine thing you got goin on, I have to suggest you check out his album called "The Seeger Sessions." It's been on constant rotation - er, stream - over here for a week or two now. (That and Modest Mouse "The Moon and Antarctica" but not in the same breath of time because that would, of course, be weird).

But "The Seeger Sessions" people, it's a gift. It's a little treasure, I'm telling you. Yes, it's the Seeger sessions, as in Pete Seeger, and yes it's a wee bit folksy (um, okay, it's almost all folk songs) but it's all done up Bruce-like and man does it just totally capture something. I don't know if it's his gravel voice, like he's been chewing rocks (but in a good way), or if it's the enthusiasm of the instrumentation, or if it's just the joyous energy of the singing, even in the saddest lyrics... I can't put my finger on it exactly, but if you have any love for Bruce baby, and any tolerance for songs like "Pay Me My Money Down" and "Jesse James" (two of my faves), then check it out.

Be forwarned, however, about the second to last track, which I'm sure you probably heard back in aught Six: "Bring 'Em Home." Yesterday this song prompted a long, drawn out fantasy involving my joining the military, somehow surviving boot camp, then shipping out to go (with a very sketchily detailed plan of action, mind you) and save all our brave but forgotten, unseen and unheard-from soldiers in Iraq. Sure, it's an obvious song for the poor heartstrings, but it's totally not a cheap shot. The way his voice implores the listener to bring em home, man... it makes me burn, trachea to tailbone, all through my core.

I wish all music was like that.

No comments: